Tuesday, June 9, 2009

My love of reef tanks led me to painting water barrels
















What started as a solution to a problem has turned into a new venture for me. I have a 92 gallon corner reef tank and I decided it was easier and less expensive to make my own RO water for the tank - instead of buying it from a petstore every few days. Found a guy online that sold huge barrels left over from the foodservice industry that others into fish & reef tanks had also been cleaning & converting for their water storage. I bought two - one for fresh water and one for salt water.


Talk about a process. These used to hold gallons of peppers. It took quite a few days of rinsing and bleaching the inside of the barrels out before I felt they were sterile enough for what I needed them for. I still get a whiff of peppers now and then.

Because these barrels were going to take up an entire corner in my garage, I wanted them to look nice. I painted them both blue and started with a giant sea turtle on one. Next came a couple of dolphins, a shark, then a few fish. Once I finished the first one, I started on the next with some tangs, a clarkii clown and an anenome.


They are both done now - plumbed and officially making water. I think the next one I'll do will be to capture and store rainwater outside. Let me know if you are interested in one!


Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/ericsdodds and of course, my website is http://www.esdodds.com/










Thanks for reading!

No comments: